So I've seen lots of NaNo tips and advice on twitter lately. Some are really helpful and some are just hilarious (which is also helpful in it's own way). I decided to compile some of my favorites and create a few of my own too. Comment to add any that you think are missing!
There is a mix of funny and helpful throughout. Okay Here goes:
• Have fun with it!
• Have ample writing music ready
• Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Netflix... These are all completely acceptable things to have running at the same time as trying to write. They are motivating.
• Save your research for later
• Also save editing for later
• Write, drink wine, write, eat chocolate, write, drink wine... Repeat
• Write the parts that your most excited to write about first, connect the dots later
• Do the best you can and forgive yourself if you're short in words. It's the effort that matters.
• Don't let the cat walk all over your WIP with dirty paws
• Hit save a lot!
• It's hard to type with a pet or baby in your lap
• Even if you don't feel like writing, sit down and try. Or even write about why you don't want to write.
• Talk back to your characters when they're trying to tell you something. But don't do it out loud because then you'll just look crazy.
• Try writing in new places and environments to keep the creative juices flowing
• If you pin yourself in where you're writing so you can't get out that may force you to get started
• Give yourself enough breaks
• Don't make a food baby right before you're ready to write, it makes it impossible to get comfortable enough to concentrate
• If you have a good idea just write it, don't worry if it fits, you can make it fit later.
• Take your computer/notebook/recorder/etc. with you everywhere so you're ready when you have time or an idea.
• Wear sweatpants a lot
• Weird shit comes out if you try to write after waking up I'm the middle of the night with an idea
• (and my favorite) Never lick your keyboard, it's never as good of an idea as it seems in your head!