Here are some tips I've come up with to help with those not quite sure how to include diversity in their next manuscript.
- Don't whitewash your manuscript
- Don't use stereotypes.
- Be genuine to human beings, we are all unique and we almost never find into the box of what's expected of our race/sex/orientation/etc.
- Do research if you need to to be appropriate and accurate. Talk to people, start conversations, and ask questions.
- Diversity comes in all different forms. Use diverse races, sexual orientations, locations/settings, genders, and any other kid of diversity you can think of.
- Use several types of diversity at a time
- Use all of the tips for writing a character that you normally do - make each three-dimensional, make each unique, etc.
- Be brave!
What tips do you have for successfully writing diversity?